As I posted on Facebook about a week ago, I'm unable to add another major onto my degree. I wanted to look into adding a Music Performance major with an emphasis in either piano or strings. I wanted to see how long it would take me to finish school if I chose to do so. However, as I met with my advisor, he said that since I'm so far into the elementary education program that there's no way that the advisory board would allow me to do that. He said I had some options: I could petition the dean of BYU, but in his career here at BYU, my advisor can count on one hand the number of times they've said yes to petitions. So, my petition would most likely be turned down. My second option would be to apply and audition to the music major and actually switch majors right now. I would stop all my elementary education classes and graduate with my bachelor's degree in music performance. Then, after graduation, I can apply to be a post-back student, which means that the University will allow me to come back and finish my elementary education classes I have left. However, the issue with this is that the music program auditions are in January...there is absolutely no way I can be prepared to audition with this level of music in less than 3 months. I haven't played this level of music since I graduated high school (2 years). I need to know all these high level performance pieces and they need to be played from memory!!! There is absolutely no way I could do that. So, I would need to apply next year and audition next January of 2016. However, my last semester is the Fall semester of 2016. So when I audition in January of 2016, I am applying to start the music program for the Fall of 2016, which would be my last semester here. My advisor said there is no way the University would allow me to do that. Since 70% of BYU's fund come from Church tithes, the administrators of BYU put a lot of pressure on the advisement departments to have all students have a "timely graduation."
So, moral of the story: no double major for me. However, my advisor worked out my music minor for me and I can still graduate on time! I can still graduate after the Fall semester of 2016. If I decide to do an internship, I would graduate in June 2017. I have some time to think about whether I want to do student teaching or an internship, but I'm excited that I can still graduate on time. I will be graduating with a bachelor's degree in elementary education, with a TESOL minor and a Music minor. Sweet!
No comments:
Post a Comment